Just a note:

This blog isn't meant to teach you anything, but I hope you'll have some fun reading it; I think I'll have fun writing it. I'll be posting bits of writing, like short stories and articles. Maybe some help for aspiring writers, a few tips and such. Also there will be journal entries and clips of conversation from the various characters in my books. So if you like the characters in my book, Cherished Preserver, stop by to get the inside scoop on their lives. Above all, enjoy!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Sarah's Journal: Nov. 16, 1910

I can't believe my luck!  Things certainly are changing for the better for me.  I just returned from a wonderful trip to the big city with Aunt and Professor Ross.  We shopped like crazy for our upcoming expedition to Egypt.  When he asked me to be his assistant this year on the dig I very nearly passed out straight away. I was so excited I almost kissed him!  I don't think that would have been such a bad thing, but I don't know how the  poor man would have taken it.  He looked shaken enough when I threw my arms around him.  I suppose I'll have to reign my emotions in, but I couldn't help it.  I would have popped had I not done something.  I had to leave before I did anything else that would have embarrassed Aunt, so I went to Gene's home to share the good news with him.  Enormous mistake!  I truly thought he would be happy for me to have such a wonderful opportunity placed into my hands, but alas, no.  He tried to make me stay by asking me to be his wife!  I just can't see it.  I don't think I could ever feel the proper emotions for him that a wife should.  Not what my own parents shared at any rate.  It wouldn't be fair to either of us. And having to live under the same roof with Gene's mother would be a daily misery for me.  She never liked me and has shown it in more ways than I can describe.  Gene's father, however, I could live with.  He's always been warm and kind, though I think he would have me practicing my cello from morn to eve.  I guess I wouldn't mind if that is all I loved to do. But i would never be allowed to be seen leaving his grand house in my grubby field study clothes.  I would never be allowed to re-enter it covered with mud with my arms full of all the beautiful things I've collected.  Nor would I be allowed to accidentally blow up a bit of the cellar with an experiment gone awry.  No, I could never marry Gene.  I hated to hurt him.  He is my old friend, and I love him.  I suppose I was cruel, but in the end, I would have injured him more had my answer caused us to have to live together for the rest of our lives. I surely would have killed him at some point.
     Anyway, I would have entered this interesting information into my journal sooner had I been home to do so.  After visiting Gene I was so angry and confused I had to speak to someone, so I found myself at Professor Ross's home.  What a lovely home it is.  Warm, inviting and mysterious.  There's even a secret passage!  Honestly, I don't know about my professor.  What sort of man actually has a secret passage in his study?  And I thought he was quite interesting enough before.  Not interesting in the way the silly girls at school think of him, but there is just something especially good and wonderful way down inside that he doesn't share with anyone.  I can tell.  I can see it in his eyes sometimes, more lately than before.  Not that he was not good or wonderful before.  He has always been so, though rather cranky.  One has to see past that sort of thing.  But I can see more in his eyes now.  Things that are hiding.
     He was very kind to me on our shopping trip.  Patient in the extreme.  I can't believe how many shops we had to visit to find work boot that actually fit my silly little feet.  I told him I would just wear Mother's old boots as I always do when working, but he didn't like the thin soles or the hole forming in the right toe.  "I won't have my assistant looking like a ragamuffin!" he said.  I know he just wanted me to have something nice.  It was an odd feeling to be taken care of like that.  I'm not saying that Aunt doesn't take care of me.  She never lets me go without anything that she knows I need, but I don't go about making her spent money on frivolous nonsense when she could put her money to better use in her charities.  She always tells me that my Uncle Tempest would have doted upon me and purchased ten times more than I let her buy for me.  I tell her that I don't need a lot and that I must get used to living on a limited budget so that when I go to make my own way I won't feel slighted.
     Here I am rattling on when I should be sleeping.  I need to stay on my toes with Professor Ross as my  superior.  Not only to be the best helper I can possibly be for him because he is my friend and mentor, but he said if I did well that I would have many more offers of work for next season.  Even better ones, he says.  I can't think of anything better than being able to work even for a little longer with Professor Ross.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Sarah, you seem to be having an interesting time of everything! I completely sympathize with you about Gene. By the way, are you still up for that coffee?
    ~Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always, Sylvia, We can meet at a little place I know of on 6th St. There is a good view of all and sundry so we can keep a sharp look out for trouble.
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete